Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Centerline Box thought

Walt Stanchfield used to really get cranky when our sketches where too straight up and down.  So when I'm teaching (and drawing my own sketches) I try to tell the artist to LEAN the pose, push that hip out, move the pose more left and right etc....

If you imagine a box around the drawing from it's furthest edges you should be able to also imagine a centerline down the middle.  That centerline helps you see if the drawing is too straight up and down.  It also helps to keep the work asymmetrical and balanced.

My sketches below show the box that I'm talking about.  I didn't actually draw the box but I was thinking "no straight up and down, no straight up and down!"

Hopefully this works for you because it really helps me to get that LEAN in that Walt talked about.

Forgive the quality of the Iphone pics.




6 comments:

Michael Barquero said...

awesome :) love these drawing tips posts, thanks for sharing!

Quentin Lebegue said...

That's a great tip ! Thanks !

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Wow, nice sketches! And that's a great tip!

বানান-ও-বানান (banan-o-banan) by Purna Mukherjee said...

Simple tricks for making outstanding poses, thanks for sharing. Looking forward for more such helpful tips !

Jeff Maka Merghart said...

as always... great drawings and great tips. Always keepin me motivated. Just wish I had more drawing time :P

Yon said...

I love your sketches Dave!!!! So full of life and emotion!